Vermont State Police say a 52-year-old woman, Helvey Abatiel Furlan, died Sunday morning in a house fire in Mendon.
Two children aged 11 and 17 and a dog were not injured in the fire.
A woman called 911 at 11:42 p.m. Saturday to report a fire, but then stopped responding to the dispatcher, according to a state police news release issued Monday.
“Emergency crews, including two state troopers and members of the Rutland Fire Department, located Abatiel Furlan at the home and transported him out of the burning residence and into an ambulance,” police said.
He was pronounced dead at Rutland Regional Medical Center Sunday morning, according to state police.
Officials said the fire on Old Stockbridge Road appeared to have started near a fireplace and wood stove.
A preliminary investigation indicates the fire was likely accidental, police said, and Abatiel Furlan’s death is not being treated as suspicious.
Follow WT LOCAL on Social Media for the Latest News and Updates.
Share this news on your Facebook,Twitter and Whatsapp.